What you need for a speedy tax return

Personal details

  • Full name
  • TFN
  • Date of birth
  • Home address
  • Spouse’s full name
  • Spouse’s date of birth
  • Number of dependent children
  • If you would like your refund deposited into your bank account by EFT, you will need your BSB, account number, and the name that appears on the account.

Income records

  • Group certificates (PAYG summaries)
  • Total amount of interest received shown on bank statements, term deposit statements and other interest bearing account statements
  • All of your share dividend remittance advice statements
  • End of year tax statements for managed funds, trusts etc
  • Records of any assets that you have sold during the tax year
  • Business income records
  • Rental property income records
  • Foreign investment income statements
  • Centrelink payment summaries

Summary for tax deductions

  • Work related car expenses
  • Work related domestic and overseas travel expenses
  • Work uniform and protective clothing expense
  • Work related self-education expenses
  • Other work related expenses
  • Tools of trade/ equipment
  • Home office running expenses
  • Computer equipment, software and computer supplies
  • Telephone/ mobile phone
  • Stationery
  • Subscription and union fees to trade, professional or business associations
  • Books, trade journals and periodicals
  • Magazine and newspaper subscriptions
  • Sun protection products (i.e. sunscreen and sunglasses)
  • Conventions, conferences, courses and seminars
  • Income protection insurance (excluding death, total and permanent disability)
  • Interest and dividend deductions (investment)


  • If you are claiming a tax deduction for a work or business related expense, make sure you have the receipt, a diary entry, or some other written record to show the date of the purchase, a description of the item and the price of the item.
  • If you use your car for work or business, it is useful to keep a log book. A log book records odometer readings at the start of the year and the end of the year, as well as the amount of kilometres travelled for each work or business trip. Along with the log book, you should also keep records of other motor vehicle expenses such as, registration, repairs, fuel and oil, interest payment on a lease, insurance payments, etc.
  • If you attended any educational course that relates to your normal employment, make sure you have all the receipts for the course fee, stationery and related expenses
  • If you borrow to invest, please make sure all investment loan details, statements are complete.

Rental property

  • Real estate agent annual statement (if available)
  • Rental income
  • Strata
  • Council rates
  • Water rates
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Real estate agent commission
  • Cleaning
  • Bank charges
  • Interest on loan
  • Insurance
  • Quantity surveyor report (so called depreciation report)
  • Capital items purchased
  • All other expenses relate to the property
  • For new investment property, please provide purchase contract, settlement statement, legal fees invoice and bank loan documents/ statements

Private health insurance

  • End of year tax statement from your health fund to tell you if you need to claim the 30% rebate off your insurance premium


  • Spouse’s taxable income

Last year’s tax return (new clients only)

  • Deduction and capital assets carried forward to be offset against future years income

Also see checklists for businesses, trusts and SMSFs.

Let us help you maximise your tax refund

We have six chartered accountants ready to deliver tax benefits to you. Book an appointment for your tax return and put strategies in place to get your money working for you sooner.